Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Israeli Salad



I love to cook. I don't know if you knew that. I'm not great, but I think I'm serviceable. Appendix A will be my cooking adventures in Israel.


One of the first things I made here was Salat Israeli, Israeli Salad. This one turned out really well. Especially because I was able to make everything fresh a few hours before we ate it. The only problem was that I ended up eating a lemon seed. Since nobody else mentioned anything I will assume nobody else had a problem.

Here was the recipe that I used;

2 red peppers
2 green peppers
1 yellow pepper
5 small tomatoes
6 small cucumbers
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/2 bunch of green onions (scallions)
3-4 table spoons (literally our spoons for our table) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lemon
salt
pepper

The directions are as follows;
Chop up all of the peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro and green onions. Put them in a large bowl.
Take the lemon, cut it in half and juice the lemon.
Pour the lemon juice onto the salad mixture.
Pour the olive oil over the salad.

Throughly mix the entire salad so the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve as promptly as possible. As the salad sits, the juices gather at the bottom and get soggy the longer it sits. I have managed to save some to eat four or five days later if it is refrigerated.

You can make any numerous changes to this recipe. Feel free to add different vegetables like carrots, onions or anything for that matter. The cilantro can be replaced with Italian Parsley. The salt and pepper doesn't need to be there and can be replaced with other spices. Personally I liked adding Zatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment