Monday, July 26, 2010

Three Quick Strikes

Strike One - Foul Tip
Pazgaz is a pain in the butt. Today the service guy came over. I had to miss a lot of class to wait for him to come and check out our gas lines since the company hadn't been to our house for a while. It took us a long time to figure out where exactly our ballonim (gas tanks) were located. When we found the ones that were ours, I learned yes they were empty and although the lines were okay, he couldn't fill them. The problem? They are in a bad place AND they do not have a cover. It looks like they used to have a cover, but now those look trampled and on the side of the apartment.

Instead, I need to miss class for part of the morning to wait for him between 8:00 and 12:00 again to come install new tanks. I don't know if that means that we will have gas then too or if I need to set up a third appointment for them to deliver gas. Ugh.

Strike Two - Swinging for the Fences Like Babe Ruth
I didn't think peer-pressure would be an issue in Rabbinical School. It is, but not in the way you're probably thinking. Since we are all starting a very cool journey a lot of the other students are buying new Tallitot. There is even a group that are planning on making their own. It is really hard to resist the urge to run out and get a new one since I haven't had a new Talis since my bar-mitzvah.

Why am I resisting? Because I have been thinking that a new Tallis should be for a life-cycle event. The next one on the list for me would be marriage. No, I don't think that's happening in the next year or so. I'm not sure. Maybe I can get something else to mark the start of Rabbinical School.

Strike Three - Looking
I've been doing a lot more looking than swinging right now. Yes, I have been walking around a lot. It has been about four weeks since I've seen the inside of a gym though. I paid for a gym membership for the year today, so hopefully I will be hitting the weights tomorrow after Trope class. Maybe.

Here's the best part though. The gym at school is actually the bomb shelter. From what I've heard from other students, it's basically a place to go and get the job done. Nothing glamorous, just a place to try to stay in shape. Since it the exact opposite of Lifetime, the price reflects that. It is 150 for the year. Now before you get all excited and say, "$150?!?! That's so cheap!!!" It get's better. It's actually ִִ₪150 (that's the symbol for New Israeli Shekels). For those of you keeping score at home, the exchange rate today makes that the equivalent to $39.27 for the year. Not for the month, for the year.

Instead of striking out looking, maybe after hitting the gym I'll be able to power the ball out of the park!

Plaaaaaaaayyyy Baaaaallllllllll!

No comments:

Post a Comment