Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tahini (Tchinah) & Hummus Round 2

















Tchinah (Tahinah)
2/3 cup of raw tchinah (Sesame Seed Paste)
2/3 cup of water
1 lemon (juiced)
4 garlic cloves (chopped)
10 parsley sprigs (chopped)
3 scallions (chopped)
salt


On Friday afternoon I made a large trip to the Shuk and bought a bunch of products for making my own Tahini. I started it from scratch. I picked up the supplies that I needed from Mister Zol the day before the rest of the fresh ingredients. Since I was also prepping to make the Hummus before hand, this time I was prepared, I turned on the stove to start cooking the Chick Peas before I set in on the Tahini.

I used a recipe found on the same blog that I discovered a recipe that I found for Hummus.

I played with the standard recipe and ended up using the following.

This was pretty easy. Basically you just mix everything together. The recipe recommends that you take your time and mix everything in slowly. Ha. I'm not that patient and I mean, it's mixing. Let's get real here. I mixed everything in and as I was adding salt, I realized that I didn't really have a lot left. This was at about 4:00 on a Friday afternoon. In Jerusalem, the city is effectively closed at that point. I thought I could make it happen anyway so I just kept going.

Once you mix all of the ingredients together you let it sit in the fridge to cool down. You just need to make sure that everything is mixed in really well together.

At this point the chick peas were about done. Let me just say that it works really well when you actually use baking soda and cook the peas in boiling water on the stove. That worked really, really well.




















Hummus
2 cups of chick-peas
1 cup of freshly made tachina
2 lemons (freshly squeezed)
1 garlic clove
garlic powder
3 teaspoons of cumin
1/2 bunch of parsley (chopped)
olive oil
salt


This time worked so much better than the last time I tried to make Hummus. I ran into a small problem though. You see, I needed a lot more salt than I thought I would. So the final product is a little under-salted. I will also note that the chick peas dry up just about any liquid you put in with them. If you try to make this following this recipe, make sure to add the cooking water back to the mixture until you get a rather loose texture. It should seem to be way too moist. I ended up also needing to keep adding olive oil to the mixture as it sits in the fridge. I love the fact that I keep practicing with this recipe. Some time soon I should have it very close to perfect. Just make sure to add more salt and oil than I was planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment