Friday, August 6, 2010

I Want To Ride My Bicycle, I Want To Ride My Bike

In the last few years I've been getting into biking. Being that I needed to fly to Israel, I chose not to bring my bike with me. Additionally, Jerusalem is very hilly and you don't see a lot of road cycles around because it's really tough to ride one around here.

[Enter Dusty]

She is one of the other students and is taking the lead on organizing the HUC group for the Ride For Reform . This is a 5 day bike ride that covers different parts of Israel every year. Participants raise funds that are donated to promote Progressive Judaism in Israel and I'm really excited to take part in it this year.

From what I understand, she knows someone back in the states that has worked with a bike shop down in the Talpiyot area. Steven, another of the Rabbinic students, knew about this shop too. This morning a bunch of us went down to look and shop around a bit. Walking into the store, there was a fantastic smell that burst through the door when we opened it. It's that smell of rubber and oil that you can only find in a garage or a bike shop. It was great!

The guy working there was very helpful. He showed us a few bikes, talked to us about why we were going to need them and what is our price range. Since none of us really have a clue about off-road biking, we started from the beginning and looked at some of the different types and talked pricing. It turns out I may be getting in deeper than I want to here. The bottom of the line that we looked at will end up costing around 500 dollars. Not brutal, but not cheap either. I also need to think about whether or not I want to bring it back to the states with me or to try and sell it here.

We were measured and the guy working at Eldar Cycling said he will call us when they get some new ones that he thinks we would be more interested in. Overall, it was a pretty exciting morning and I'm really tossing around the idea of whether or not I should just go for it.

Since I don't have a lot of time before Kabbalat Shabbat, I can't really type much more.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment