Monday, September 13, 2010

Rosh HaNikrah

This is coming in very late, I know. I hadn't had the chance to sit down and write out everything from Rosh HaNikrah. For those of you that don't know me very well I am a little bit obsessed with water. Lakes or rivers or whatever body of water. I could just sit and listen to the water lap at the shore of anything for hours on end.

In the north, at the border between Lebanon and Israel, there is a special place where the mountains literally run into the sea. The way that the water works slowly at the rock has created some of the most beautiful grottos I have even seen. As we first descended into the grottos, we came to an observation point that you can see into the bright turquoise water. In the dark of the grotto you can barely see the color of the water, but you can still see the bottom. Then as you stare out into the open water, the vibrant greens and blues pierce into the darkness with the help of the sun.



As I meandered through the grottos there was a place that the water was still slowly working it's way through the rock formation still. I stood for about 10 minutes watching the tide rise and fall through the hole that was slowly being bored through rocks. I really could have watched the tide rush through for hours.










Further through the grottos I stepped out into a bright light. In the distance I could just make out the shapes of islands in the distance, along with the Navy Ships patrolling the water. Looking back up the sharp angle of the mountain, I could see hundreds of flint-stones and fossils jutting out in their dark color contrasting to the bright white of the rock.



The scorching sun was soothed as I walked around the edge of the "open to the public" area with a strong, cool breeze. Coming out of a musty grotto into the sun, the breeze felt incredible on my face. Fighting the glare of the sun, I wanted to look out onto the sea and not leave. But I was not the only person there, and we needed to head back to Acho.

As we got back into the car, I couldn't help but notice the contrast between the rough rock and the lush green Kibbutz within 1km of the border. The stark contrast between the end of the line and harvestable land sticks out in my mind. I'm not exactly sure why I was so hung up on this. There was just something impressive about how much people were able to get out of the space so close to nothingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment