Friday, September 10, 2010

Second Night Dinner & Apple Crisp

Last week Marina asked me if we could have a dinner for the second night of Rosh HaShanah. Since we always had two dinners when I was growing up, my answer was of course! We left if open to the entire class and even some American College students studying here this year. Small problem though, there were 30 people that RSVPed before the weekend. Our apartment could not contain that many people and the number kept growing.

Luckily, she was in a meeting at school and asked if we could use the space at school to host this dinner. HUC said that we could use the space and our number expanded even more. When we went to school to set up last night, we were setting places for 53 people that had RSVPed, and a few extra people came too! Insane!



It was a potluck style, because there was no way could we cook for that many people. So I needed something to bring. Who did I turn to for a recipe for desert? Mom.

I asked her to send me a message for an apple crisp.

Apple Crisp



I changed what she gave me as a recipe based on what I wanted for taste

14 Granny Smith Apples (peeled, sliced and cored)
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar

2 cups of flour
1 1/5 cups of white sugar
4 tbsp of cinnamon
4 eggs
4 tbsp of butter (113g)

Directions:
Measure out the flour, white sugar and cinnamon. Combine in a large bowl and set aside.

Peel, cut and core the apples.
Mix together the apples and brown sugar until the apples are coated.
Lay out in a large baking pan.
Set this aside and preheat an over to 195 degrees C.

Beat 4 eggs.
Melt the butter.
Combine the eggs and butter in a small bowl.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
Take this mixture and spread as evenly as possible over apples.
It does not need to cover everything, but cover most of the apples.

Bake in the over at 195 C for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check back regularly to make sure the edges do not burn.
Bake until the crust is golden brown and a knife can be put in and taken out clean from the center.


As a final note, I want to give a massive shout out to Marina for getting the dinner together. Technically I was helping host too, but she did about 95% of the organizing and preparations. Also a massive thank you for everyone who brought fantastic food. Since it was much more Marina's night, if you want to check out here account, I'm sure one will be up on her blog shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment