Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I've never been big on Valentine's Day. It's not that I didn't have someone to spend it with, or that I didn't get enough Valentine's as a kid. I've just never been a big fan of Hallmark Holidays. This one always seemed phony to me and I never liked it. Then I did something stupid, I started dating someone on August 14th, which meant that it had been 6 months on Valentine's Day a few years ago. It became a bit of a big deal for her.

I still wasn't convinced about Valentine's Day being a big deal. But something was different this year.

It's only been a month since the last time I saw her, but I really missed Kaitlin today. She loves Valentine's Day and I really wanted nothing more than to spend some time with her today. On top of that, I remembered something interesting I heard from one of my friends Yael, spoke during services this morning.

She said something that I thought about a lot today after services. It's not about the day itself. It's not about spending money on someone because Hallmark says that you need to. In the US, it has become a day that can remind you to say something you should say every day.

She's dead on.

It's not that I forget, or that I don't care on every other day. Valentine's Day can be a reminder to tell people that you care about them. So from someone that has finally found a way to care about Valentine's Day, I hope you had a good one, and are able to spend it with someone that you care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment